Meatigami
The older boy plays with his food in imaginative ways. For example, whenever he has a steamed or baked Chinese pork bun (char-siu bau), he bites a small hole in the side, barely exposing the filling and the air bubble inside. He then blows into the bun making it inflate. He calls it his pork-bun balloon.
Another thing he's been doing lately is biting strategic shapes into luncheon meat. I call it, meatigami, like origami but with meat. Here he is with his latest creation, the face of Kyle from the South Park cartoon.


And of course, because he's a meatigami master, his brother wants to try too. Here is little brother's one-eyed alien face.

It all makes me wonder: geez, why do I spend money on toys?
Anyway, I have been sewing. I just haven't posted anything because it's mostly meta-sewing, i.e. sewing about sewing. This is a notions holder, made from a recycled felted jacket. I loved the jacket, but hated the scratchiness of the felted wool, so never wore it. I was also sick of having all my sewing stuff lying around in a million places, so making this was a way of giving function to the jacket, and organizing my stuff at the same time.

I used every bit of the garment. The shoulder pads became the pin cushion, which is why it's half-moon shaped, and the velcro on the pads were used to close the big pockets.

It has a detachable pouch, which stores my various sewing machine tools. Here it is with the pouch attached.

So, I am finally organized enough to make little, fussy things, like this cicada pouch from the book I blogged about previously, Omiyage. I only wish I had real chirimen, the printed Japanese fabric that is recommended for the patterns.

Another thing he's been doing lately is biting strategic shapes into luncheon meat. I call it, meatigami, like origami but with meat. Here he is with his latest creation, the face of Kyle from the South Park cartoon.
And of course, because he's a meatigami master, his brother wants to try too. Here is little brother's one-eyed alien face.
It all makes me wonder: geez, why do I spend money on toys?
Anyway, I have been sewing. I just haven't posted anything because it's mostly meta-sewing, i.e. sewing about sewing. This is a notions holder, made from a recycled felted jacket. I loved the jacket, but hated the scratchiness of the felted wool, so never wore it. I was also sick of having all my sewing stuff lying around in a million places, so making this was a way of giving function to the jacket, and organizing my stuff at the same time.
I used every bit of the garment. The shoulder pads became the pin cushion, which is why it's half-moon shaped, and the velcro on the pads were used to close the big pockets.
It has a detachable pouch, which stores my various sewing machine tools. Here it is with the pouch attached.
So, I am finally organized enough to make little, fussy things, like this cicada pouch from the book I blogged about previously, Omiyage. I only wish I had real chirimen, the printed Japanese fabric that is recommended for the patterns.