Blah, Blah, Blahhhg

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Knitted Penguin Chick

But first, here's Kit Fisto.


It was so worth making these little dolls. Each time I handed a Jedi to a kid, he would look at it for a bit, then kiss it. The kiss apparently makes the toy come to life, or so I'm told.

The older one made a youngling. It's supposed to be himself as a Jedi. He cut and sewed the pieces by himself. I find it quite charming.


Here's his other latest Star Wars creation. At first glance, it appears to be a parade float...


...but it's really a death car (not a death star, but a death car), for crushing 'droids.


Imagine this thing barrelling down on you. Ooooh, impressive and scary!


No surprise: I've been knitting. These are two projects on the go. The one on the left is destined to be a sweater for the house chicken,


and the one on the right is an emperor penguin chick for the younger son. It's a birthday present. He's liked penguins since seeing the National Geographic movie, March of the Penguins.



The chick is a modification of the cat pattern I blogged about. Because I know I'll be asked, here's how I made the white face patch:
Cast on 21 sts.
Work 12 rows of st-st.
On the next row, * work 10 sts.
Turn, and work 9 sts.
Turn, and work 8 sts.
Keep turning the piece, and working 1 st less until you have finished working 3 sts.
Work to the far end of the piece.**
Rep from * to **.
Bind off.


(My son's eyes are glazed over because he's playing a video game.)