Labour Day Weekend
What I did this long weekend:
1. I bought a guitar, and taught myself some basics from a couple of books. Currently memorizing chords, and playing simple songs (e.g. John Denver's "Leavin' on a Jet Plane").

Not saying I sound good just yet, but someday if I can play Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" well, it'll be worth it. I can see myself dorkily passing an afternoon in my bedroom, happily singing to myself and strumming the guitar, all the while thinking that I'm having a good time.
This all started when my sister bought my oldest son a child's nylon-string guitar for his birthday. While I was picking up a guitar strap, case, and picks for it, the little one got very upset, so we got him a guitar too. I started fiddling around with their guitars, which was difficult since they are jealously guarded, so I decided to get my own. I figure if I learn a few things, I can help them out when the time comes.
So far, I remember one of the (many) reasons I hate piano so much - my hands are small. It's been a barrier to learning many chords, so I've decided to just position the fingers as I can, ignoring which finger is supposed to go on which fret. I figure, I taught myself to knit and crochet from books, and I don't hold the tools in the proper way, but if the end product looks the same, then there's really no wrong way to do it. Same for guitar (I hope).
Oh, and although I feel like this when holding the guitar...

(That's Nancy Wilson of Heart - yes, I'm an 80s girl.)
I realize I probably look more like this.

2. You've heard this story before - you don't swatch, and something turns out the wrong size. Presenting... my cabled hat, now a sweater for a stuffed animal.


I didn't actually want a hat, but I had no other ideas for what to make next, so I thought I should practice cables. Happily, now that I've got requests for specific items, I won't be listlessly experimenting in the near future. My sister wants me to make a few crocheted hats for my niece, and a crocheted airplane for my nephew. I think if I lay off the guitar, those projects will be done by the end of the week, at which time I can start on my other sister's birthday present - she wants a painting of her dog.
3. We spent a day at the Science Centre, and my older son built this golf cart out of old telephone parts and a glue gun.

1. I bought a guitar, and taught myself some basics from a couple of books. Currently memorizing chords, and playing simple songs (e.g. John Denver's "Leavin' on a Jet Plane").
Not saying I sound good just yet, but someday if I can play Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" well, it'll be worth it. I can see myself dorkily passing an afternoon in my bedroom, happily singing to myself and strumming the guitar, all the while thinking that I'm having a good time.
This all started when my sister bought my oldest son a child's nylon-string guitar for his birthday. While I was picking up a guitar strap, case, and picks for it, the little one got very upset, so we got him a guitar too. I started fiddling around with their guitars, which was difficult since they are jealously guarded, so I decided to get my own. I figure if I learn a few things, I can help them out when the time comes.
So far, I remember one of the (many) reasons I hate piano so much - my hands are small. It's been a barrier to learning many chords, so I've decided to just position the fingers as I can, ignoring which finger is supposed to go on which fret. I figure, I taught myself to knit and crochet from books, and I don't hold the tools in the proper way, but if the end product looks the same, then there's really no wrong way to do it. Same for guitar (I hope).
Oh, and although I feel like this when holding the guitar...
(That's Nancy Wilson of Heart - yes, I'm an 80s girl.)
I realize I probably look more like this.
2. You've heard this story before - you don't swatch, and something turns out the wrong size. Presenting... my cabled hat, now a sweater for a stuffed animal.
I didn't actually want a hat, but I had no other ideas for what to make next, so I thought I should practice cables. Happily, now that I've got requests for specific items, I won't be listlessly experimenting in the near future. My sister wants me to make a few crocheted hats for my niece, and a crocheted airplane for my nephew. I think if I lay off the guitar, those projects will be done by the end of the week, at which time I can start on my other sister's birthday present - she wants a painting of her dog.
3. We spent a day at the Science Centre, and my older son built this golf cart out of old telephone parts and a glue gun.