Weekend Crafting
I don't normally buy Martha Stewart Kids magazine, but the holiday issue features lots of children's art work, which I can't resist. I've always loved kids' drawings - when my first-born was a baby, I couldn't wait until he was old enough to start making crafty things that I could display around the home and office. Anyway, inside were photos of simple plushes made from cloth and fabric markers. They were so charming I had the boys make some.

The older boy made the penguin, and the younger boy made the house.

The older boy also created this paper dojo, with Shihan on the right, and the kids' instructor on the left.

That gave me the idea to make these plush Sensei ornaments. This is Shihan, and his eight instructors. There is a ninth Sensei whom I've never met. Once I figure out what he looks like, I'll make a plush to represent him too.


Another magazine I don't usually purchase is Good Housekeeping. This is their Holiday Best issue, which features 4 projects from the book, Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. The baby booties, which employ a tube-knitting technique on straight needles, and stuffed bear/rabbit/elephant were the only patterns from the book that looked interesting to me, so purchasing the magazine was an inexpensive and convenient way to acquire them.

It wouldn't be a happy weekend without knitting. My sister asked for some knitted hot water bottle covers, so I'm making one of them with a pocket to hold this small knitted bear. I'd considered making it with an intarsia design (e.g. a fat sheep for my nephew born in the Year of the Sheep), but decided against it as it would mean doing intarsia in the round, which is not fun for me.

I got some swap magnets on Friday. These are from a lovely woman in Sugar Land, Texas. Yes, Sugar Land - I just love the name of her town! But the best part of the package was her letter - she sounds friendly and gracious.

Finally, we're getting ready to do some holiday baking. This is the youngest trying out his ALA-approved apron and hat.

But of course, he's a boy, so any talk of baking quickly devolved into this:

I should've known that a rolling pin in the hands of a boy would turn into a weapon - why, of course.
The older boy made the penguin, and the younger boy made the house.
The older boy also created this paper dojo, with Shihan on the right, and the kids' instructor on the left.
That gave me the idea to make these plush Sensei ornaments. This is Shihan, and his eight instructors. There is a ninth Sensei whom I've never met. Once I figure out what he looks like, I'll make a plush to represent him too.
Another magazine I don't usually purchase is Good Housekeeping. This is their Holiday Best issue, which features 4 projects from the book, Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. The baby booties, which employ a tube-knitting technique on straight needles, and stuffed bear/rabbit/elephant were the only patterns from the book that looked interesting to me, so purchasing the magazine was an inexpensive and convenient way to acquire them.
It wouldn't be a happy weekend without knitting. My sister asked for some knitted hot water bottle covers, so I'm making one of them with a pocket to hold this small knitted bear. I'd considered making it with an intarsia design (e.g. a fat sheep for my nephew born in the Year of the Sheep), but decided against it as it would mean doing intarsia in the round, which is not fun for me.
I got some swap magnets on Friday. These are from a lovely woman in Sugar Land, Texas. Yes, Sugar Land - I just love the name of her town! But the best part of the package was her letter - she sounds friendly and gracious.
Finally, we're getting ready to do some holiday baking. This is the youngest trying out his ALA-approved apron and hat.
But of course, he's a boy, so any talk of baking quickly devolved into this:
I should've known that a rolling pin in the hands of a boy would turn into a weapon - why, of course.